Lucy

Lucy
My name is Lucy. I am on a road trip with my masters Bob and Karen. We are traveling US Route 6 starting at Provincetown MA and we are doing it in a Corvette.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Meadville PA - Day 7

Jay, from the Inn, told us about Lynn Hall at breakfast so that was our first stop. It is right on Route 6 just outside Port Allegany. The house and a cottage were designed and built by Walter Hall who later built Fallingwater which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Lynn Hall is being privately restored by the DeVore family. No one was there so we looked around the outside. Very cool place and such a great warm up since we have tickets to tour Fallingwater on Sunday.


Next stop was the Kinzua Skywalk. The skywalk, located off Route 6 by Mount Jewett, is the remnant of a railroad viaduct originally built in 1882. It was brought down by a tornado in 2003. There is more info and pictures at this link. Boy was it an adventure, especially for Karen. I will tell that story in it's own post. I saw two small oil pumper stations on the way out to the skyway. I expect we might see more as we continue west.

Most of the tanker trucks I have been seeing are related to natural gas drilling. I saw lots of logging trucks as we went through the Allegheny National Forest. Karen said that some of the towns aren't even on the iPhone map. We just went through a very small town called Mead according to the sign on the road but nothing on the iPhone. Guess a town can be too small for Apple.

We stopped in Warren and Karen and Bob had lunch at the Cornerstone. Karen had a chicken lip salad. I didn't think chicken's had lips.  

Jay from the inn told us to drive around town to see the lovely homes. We saw several just from Route 6 - very interesting architecture and so well maintained. There's a river that runs through Warren. It is a very pretty town. I could see spending a little time there just hanging out, sniffing around town, meeting local dogs, etc.

Starting in Cambridge Springs I started to see all kinds of old metal bridges. This is the best picture Karen took. It was hard getting a good picture through the windshield in the rain.  

We arrived at our Meadville hotel safe and sound. Thank goodness, I need a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment