Lucy

Lucy
My name is Lucy. I am on a road trip with my masters Bob and Karen. We are traveling US Route 6 starting at Provincetown MA and we are doing it in a Corvette.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Scranton PA - Day 4

Before leaving this morning, Karen and Bob decided to ditch the cooler. They said they weren't using it and it took up too much room in the trunk. Certainly they wouldn't leave me behind. Nah.

Karen made us stop so she could take a picture of the Bullet Hill Schoolhouse. It is the oldest brick schoolhouse still in use. They say the weather vane has bullet holes in it from the Revolutionary War.


As we went by Lake Gleneida in Carmel New York I saw over 50 rowboats (yes I can count) all laying by the side of the lake out of the water. Guess their owners just hauled them out last fall and are waiting for spring. There were some very unique churches in Mahopac New York. One was the Lake Mahopac United Methodist Church. You can see a picture at this link. The other one was white with blue trim. It had a cylindrical section with crosses on it. It is the Church of the Nativity of the Holy Mother of God, an Eastern American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. You can see it here. We stopped in Mahopac for gas at the Route 6 Fuel gas station. Where else?

The road is very hilly and curvy through Bear Mountain State Park. It was hard to stay on my "seat". I moved to Karen's lap so I could relax. The tense driving nixed our side trip to the Roebling Suspension Bridge near Lackawaxen PA. It crosses the Delaware River and has been restored. Find info and pictures here. As we got close to the New York Pennsylvania border I saw real farm country with farmhouses, barns, silos, and fields. Karen and Bob had lunch at The Grill in Matamoras, PA. All I got to do was stare at the Do 6 sign showing 400 miles to go to cross Pennsylvania.

The towns in Pennsylvania are very interesting with lots of unique buildings. Milford is a fine example with so many older buildings of all different architectures. We had a very scenic drive, especially through the Poconos. I just enjoyed the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment