Lucy

Lucy
My name is Lucy. I am on a road trip with my masters Bob and Karen. We are traveling US Route 6 starting at Provincetown MA and we are doing it in a Corvette.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Kinzua Skywalk

Just getting to the Kinzua Skywalk was an adventure. The road was very narrow and winding road ending in an open gravel parking lot next to a construction site. I think Bob was wondering if we were in the right place. It was cold and misting making it quite cold. Karen and Bob started off down a gravel path. I stayed in the nice warm car. Karen tells the rest of the story.

After a short walk walked down the gravel pathway we saw the skywalk. There was more construction vehicles here working on pathways. There is a switchback-like path you walk to get to the skywalk. Bob waited while I headed down the path. I tried to cut across vs following the path. Bad idea. It was like quick sand. My shoes got stuck and I had to pull them out.

I put my shoes back on and continued to the skywalk. I found a patch of grass and could clean up a little. Still pretty gross.

It was very erie walking out on the viaduct. It is close to 300 feet above the ground. They preserved the rails so that makes for an interesting visual. Looking over the edge you can see the supporting structure.



At the end, you can see the pieces of structure that fell. The twisted iron gave me a ghostly feeling.

This view shows how misty it was. I felt like I was in the clouds.

They are building a visitor center. This picture is from the skywalk. It will have a great view when it is finished.

Bob and I walked back to the car. We were freezing. I bagged my shoes (I washed them later at the hotel). Then I used a bottle of water and paper towels, Bob handed them to me, to clean off my feet the best I could. We can't pick any place fancy for lunch since I'm a messy wreck and wearing slippers.

We returned to Route 6 heading back the way we came. Thank goodness for heated seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment